At the age of 19, George married Lucinda Caroline Swims in 1877. Lucinda was the daughter of Aaron H. and Elizabeth Caroline (Long) Swims. Both fathers of George and Lucinda were soldiers in the 1st Regiment, Alabama Calvary, Union Army during the Civil War.
George's wife was orphaned as a child when she was about 8 years old. Her father had died of typhoid fever in a civil war hospital. Her mother died the following year. Guardianship of Lucinda and her siblings was granted to her uncle, William Riley Long.
George and Lucinda had the following children:
- Charles Aaron Taylor, named after their fathers, married Scottie May Lyle
- Frank Marion Taylor
- Andrew J. Taylor
- Columbus Washington Taylor, married Arsula "Suler" Posey
- David Lincoln Taylor, married Lula Belle Posey (sister of Columbus' wife, Suler Posey)
- Rhoda Bell Taylor, married (1) William Houston Guttery and (2) Pinkney Jackson Woodall
- Ada Louise Taylor, married Richard Sherman Godsey
- Ida Taylor, twin to Ada, died at birth
- Ella "Eller" Ruth Taylor, married John W. Kidd
George and Lucinda lived all of their lives in the Ashridge community. He died on March 25, 1926 at the age of 68. His occupation was listed as retired farmer on the death certificate. Lucinda died on December 21, 1940 at the age of 83. They are both buried at Rock Creek Baptist Church, Winston County.
|George Washington and Lucinda Caroline (Swims) Taylor, |
Photo in collection of descendant Kay Wojack